Sunday, March 28, 2010

November 24

Dear family and friends,

I am staring at my last week at the MTC. It is rather exciting. I don't know if Taiwan is prepared for what it about to hit it--and by that I mean my district. We are all very excited to leave and to begin our "Taiwan-type" mission.

As this week is Thanksgiving, I decided to write 4 things that I was thankful for that refer specifically to my time at the MTC. I will try to make it interesting but if you aren't in the thankful mood you can come back next week when I try to share something funny again. :)

And now for the gratitude portion:

First of all, I am incredibly grateful for one of the teachers here, Chiu lao shi (Sister Chiu). She is from Taiwan and served in the Taipei mission. She is also a convert and her conversion story is amazing. I like many of the teachers here, but if I am allowed to have favorites (which I give myself the privilege of having) she is definitely that. My favorite, I mean. I like to joke with people that if I were a native Taiwannese I would be just like Sister Chiu. I have asked her if she could come with me to Taiwan and be my trainer, but I guess her time to teach me was here at the MTC. Each time we teach her she tells us how we can improve using Preach My Gospel, and it is real feedback, not just smile more. She really makes me think about what is important to Taiwanese people and why the gospel would matter to THEM. I treasure up all of her words like precious silver. :)

Speaking of Preach My Gospel, I am so incredibly grateful that I am a missionary during the PMG time period. I can't even find words to express the growth in my teaching and missionary character that has come from Preach My Gospel. My faith has been strengthened, my teaching has improved, and my doctrine has been more sound as I have studied that book. I feel so priveleged to be a Preach My Gospel missionary. (As a side note, to those who know what "The District" is, Crystal Meyers from the District spoke to us last night about the forming of the movie. It was an incredible experience to hear how everything went!) I would encourage all of you to study PMG in your family and personal studies (in addition to your regular scripture study, of course!).

Third, I am so grateful to be called to a Chinese speaking mission. I feel that I am becoming part Chinese and that I have a special kinship with Chinese and Taiwanese people. I am especially grateful that I could be in the MTC when the pinyin Book of Mormon came out because I have been trained how to use it effectively. Just think, with PMG and the Chinese Book of Mormon that we can read, what can stop us? :)

And finally, but certainly not least, I am grateful for the Atonement of my Savior, Jesus Christ. As I teach and testify every day of this priceless gift to mankind, I have come to know that the Atonement is also for me when I feel inadequate or cannot procure up love for someone that bothers me or when my teaching is less than ideal or when I wonder how I, as a mortal, can ever do the work of the Lord. Truly, the Atonement of Jesus Christ can and does bless us in every aspect of our lives, and I am eternally grateful that I get to share this news with everyone, especially the people in Taiwan.

And of course, I am grateful for all of you. Your letters, missionary stories, and awkward moments uplift and inspire me. And knowing that this coming month I leave for Taiwan, two sisters get married, and Christmas happens makes me grateful for stalwart parents. :)

Love always,

Sister White

No comments:

Post a Comment